CALL FOR PAPERS – February 28, 2011
Emerging Scholars Panel – American Theatre and Drama Society (ATDS)
The Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) 2011 Conference
Chicago, August 11–14, 2011
Palmer House Hilton Hotel
“Performance Remains, Global Presence: Memory, Legacy, and Imagined Futures”
ATDS is pleased to announce its third annual emerging scholars panel, “Curtains Up,” introducing new scholarship in American, Black, Latina/o and Latin American Theatre and Drama. We invite new scholars who have not yet presented at a major national conference to submit papers. These papers can treatany aspect of United States theatre and drama, its varied histories, traditions, literatures, and performances within its cultural contexts.
While all submissions are encouraged, we particularly recommend submitting paper that also address the conference theme in some way. Essays might consider:
· the evolving debate exploring national identities and experiences through research, pedagogy, and practice
· how notions of America and the US encompass migrations of peoples and cultures that overlap and influence one another
· the way that American theatre has been remembered, memorialized, or imagined
· the function of memory or legacy in the writing the history American theatre and drama
· how memory might be preserved or reshaped when local, spiritual practices are considered in a global discourse,
· how globalization has affected the legacy American theatre
· the future of the field of American Theatre and Drama
To be considered for this panel, please email your 8-10 page paper and contact information as a single Microsoft Word attachment to Megan Sanborn Jones(email@example.com) by February 28, 2011. Please include a cover page with your name, paper title, affiliation and contact information in the same attachment, and remove your name from the body of the essay. Essays will be evaluated on their originality, the quality of their writing and research, and their critical/theoretical sophistication.
Submissions will be vetted by a committee of select ATDS scholars. Two of the essays will be chosen for inclusion on this competitive panel. The selected authors are expected to attend the conference in August to present their papers. Winners will receive a year-long membership to ATDS, which includes subscription to the journal The Journal of American Drama and Theatre, as well as a $200 cash award. Successful applicants will be notified by the end of March 2011.